Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's a Southern Boy to Do?

I have an infection; I have an earworm. You know, one of those phrases or songs that get stuck in your head. It all started a few days ago.

A memory was triggered by a silly question, "Where are my plastic shoes?"

I answered, "Did you say orange plastic teeth?"

A character with orange plastic teeth had just sprung from a deep memory. It was a character from a junior high school English class that the teacher used to get us interested in diagramming sentences. That same teacher, being from the northeast, was also fond of reciting a poem that we all learned. So, for your reading pleasure, and for my relief from the earworm; here it is, as I learned it, so many years ago:

The Brooklyn National Anthem

Spring is Sprung.
Da grass is riz.
I wonder where da boidie is?
Da boid is on da wing.
Absoid, I always hoid,
da wing is on da boid.


--thanks Pat Werner, for learning me English, so good!

There you have it. Maybe now the thing will get out of my head!

No comments: