Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pass in Review Part 3

Well, if Frank's "total recall" was not enough, Jim Patrie, the Commander of Troops during the 1983 event, added his two cents:

You have a solid memory. It was a great day. I recall that the half section first spooked when Dave (S-1) came on the field and announced "Sound Off" … the bugler did so and the half section bolted to the woods. This was very early in the ceremony and they stayed in the woods for a long time.

SFC Wilburn (S-2 NCO and self-proclaimed rodeo star) got everything turned around in the woods and was ready to continue the mission. He saw a spot in the P in R procession and took it ... at full speed. I recall the terrified look on the two soldiers' faces as they sped by the reviewing stand. That is when the lady in the stands made her
synchronization remark. The half section was actually supposed to halt, place the cannon into service, and fire a shot ... remount and proceed onward and off the field. No chance, there.

The best aftermath: MG Grange was in attendance that day. Two days later, I got a letter from him on his General Officer stationary, saying:


Major Patrie,

Best change of command ceremony I've ever seen.

Sincerely,

MG David Grange



I still have that note. Greg and I have laughed hard over this story for many years. He sent me a note some years back inviting me to come to his change of command ceremony out in Washington. I said I would be there, but only if animals were involved.

"No chance", he said.


Editor's Note: Jim, I did not ask your permission to publish your comments. Your add is just icing on the cake. Thanks for the email!

No comments: