Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fun in the Sun at NTC, Fort Irwin, CA

The dirt and grime of nine days on the floor of the great Mojave Desert was taking its toll. With water rationing in effect, I had not come close to a shower, since we left the pine studded forests of Georgia. Dust was everywhere, in everything, on everything. Cascading sweat circles stained my shirt from armpit to waist. The dust was so permeating that I could no longer distinguish the black of my boots from the camouflage pattern of my trousers. My short-cropped hair was the color of desert dried and parched lakebeds. Had it not been for the Rommel-style goggles, I would have been blind from the wind driven dust. The crow’s feet around my eyes were darkly stained by trails of tears, seeping though the dust from behind the protective goggles.

Even with the constant dust and heat, I found the desert an awesome place. I witnessed two-foot long lizards running on their hind legs; scorpions - black as coal – at least six inches in length; tarantulas larger than the spread of a man’s hand. At night I saw packs of coyotes scurrying for cover and always on the lookout for a scrap of a meal dropped by a careless soldier; the sunsets had more color than one can imagine; and stars – I have never seen so many stars in my life. The Milky Way would swoop from the horizon and on past the midnight zenith. The environment was unmatched in its diversity.

Having attended a commanders briefing and having finished a reconnaissance of potential tactical positions for my firing battery, my jeep driver and I headed back to the battery’s current location. The battery was some twenty miles away. The drive was dark – no headlights allowed - and many hours had passed, since our last meal from a plastic bag of assorted dried fruits and chopped, pressed, formed, and packaged meat. We were looking forward to the promise of a new selection of plastic meals and fresh water. Earlier in the day I had confirmed that a much needed 500 gallons of the good stuff had been delivered.

When we arrived at the firing battery encampment, I sent my driver to chow and made my way to the fire direction center to check in with my lieutenants, get unit status, and pass along the instructions for the next day’s live fire activities. To my surprise, Lieutenants Nick and Joe had prepared a shower for me. Hanging from a crossbeam between two command tracks, suspended over a wooden pallet, was an Australian shower – a four-gallon, canvas bag with a showerhead attached to the bottom of the bag. The way it works, you fill the bag with water, turn the valve on the shower head to get a dribble of water, close the valve, lather up, and then open the valve to rinse. It is amazing how little water is used, if the procedure is done correctly. To say the least, I was overwhelmed and grateful for the chance to rid myself of a multiple layers of dust and sweat and a closely following odor of stale billy goat.

When the briefings were complete, I pulled a clean uniform out of my rucksack and shook off the collected dust. I grabbed a towel and a bar of soap and headed to the makeshift shower. I stripped down to dog tags, stepped up on the pallet, and turned the valve to start the trickle of water. Dark rivulets of dirt ran down my face and body. I turned off the water and began a lathering scrub. I detected a slightly sweet taste and thought the soap I was using had had a run in with the toothpaste in my bag. With little concern I continued the shower and started the rinse cycle. It was at this point that I heard a muffled giggle from the far side of one of the command tracks. As I rinsed, the laughter increased, and the rinse water grew sweeter and sweeter. By this time there must have been two lieutenants and a gunnery sergeant rolling in the dirt between the creosote bushes. Grape Kool-Aid had been mixed into my shower water. I should have known that the prepared shower was too good to be true. I finished the shower never saying a word.

In a sleeping bag for the rest of the short night, I dreamt sweet, sweet, grape scented dreams, dreams of payback on a day, when my unsuspecting officers would least expect it. I bided my time, planning the revenge that would be a dish served cold by a cold, cold-hearted battery commander.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the continuation of the story!

sean said...

Neither can I. How long were you purple? I hear revenge is colder at night in the desert...

Mule Skinner said...

Several nights later, I awoke with a passion in my soul. Vengeance would be mine. Maybe the V-word was a little strong. Payback would be mine!

Well before the pre-dawn chill, I moved with ninja stealth along the gun line. If the night watch noticed my dim shadow, they paid it no heed. It was common for me visit the late night gunners. They appreciated my interest in their work, and I enjoyed hearing how fervently they performed their mission. Most cannon-cockers enjoy bringing destruction on targets 18-clicks away, regardless the time of day or night. The late night gunners were no exception.

Before long I came across a gun chief and the chief-of-firing battery performing their rounds. We gathered at the kitchen trailer and talked in whispers over steaming cups of coffee. Knowing these brothers in arms, I knew their loyalty to me was strong. I shared my plan. They shared my enthusiasm, saying they had heard rumors of my purple shower and had wondered what my course of action would be. By deduction, we confirmed my suspicions of the guilty parties. Our targets were my executive officer, the fire direction officer, and the gunnery sergeant. The three of us each claimed a target and very quickly returned with our trophies. I had the XO’s helmet and web gear; my comrades had helmet and web gear for each of the other two. The unsuspecting targets never knew anyone was near enough to disturb their slumber. I took the three sets of captured gear and calmly, yet purposefully, buried the gear in several feet of loose sand and gravel. I returned to the kitchen for more coffee and high-fived my cohorts with our success.

I was ready to spring the surprise. To the chief-of-firing battery, I ordered, “Close Station, Prepare to Move Out”. With a grin, he bellowed a command and a few choice words and the night crew woke the battery. Within moments, the battery was alive with activity. Sleeping bags were rolled, gun engines were started, and camouflage netting was beginning to come down. Dawn cracked, and my plan was in motion. As if on cue, the XO, gunnery sergeant, and FDO appeared at my jeep for final instructions prior to moving out. Almost in unison they said they were in a hurry and were rushing to find me but could not find their helmets or web gear. Like the sun that was already leaping over the horizon, comprehension suddenly swept across their faces. They knew that I knew. I simply said, “Somewhere out there,” as I motioned toward the east. “We move out in 30 minutes!”

I grinned; they gasped, "Oh, @#$% !"