Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Big Boys and Their Toys

I caught my first glimpse of an iPad in the wild a few moments ago. I was in line at a local deli, when fanboy#1 reaches the cash register to pay for his meal. Fanboy unfolded his leatherette cover on his iPad to recover his credit card, stored in a little pocket inside the folder.

The store manager says, “Oh, is that an iPad?”

Fanboy replies, “Yes, and if I weren’t a software developer, I’d use it for everything.”

My fellow line-standers all groaned, ‘cause we were hungry and the line had suddenly come to a standstill. Finally, the credit card approval happened, and the rest of us shuffled forward.

I sat down to enjoy my reuben sammie and noticed that fanboy#2 had joined fanboy#1 at a table near me. I overheard their conversation:

Says fanboy#2, “Dude, you got an iPad!”

There was nothing but smiles from fanboy#1, as his toy was being lovingly opened by fanboy#2. As the gentle light of the LCD glowed on the face of fanboy#2, his expression changed to something reminiscent of my first exposure to a centerfold. I nearly laughed out loud.

Fanboy#1 said, “Yeah, I just bought it, but I haven’t told my wife. I don’t think I will.”

Cola spewed out my nose, as I fell to one knee, unable to control my emotions. ROFL, ROFL, ROFL.

Tonight will be fun at his house. I think I will text his ol’ lady.

No comments: