Saturday, December 10, 2011

Physics, Explained

I try to make it a habit to get to the level of my listeners. When I have conversation, I like to look my discussion partner right in the eye. I learn so much that way.

Just last week, a friend's four year old son was playing with a model of the Millennium Falcon. I sat down with the boy to understand more about his spacecraft. Kadin was explaining the components of the craft, pointing out where the drivers sat and where the door was. I pressed for more information. When I asked about the missing landing gear, Kadin responded, "The landing gear are retracted, so they don't get damaged by travel in space." I was impressed with the answer.

When I asked about the antenna dish, Kadin surprised me with, "That is used to gather signals from other objects, so that navigation in space can be completed more efficiently."

I decided to probe deeper, obviously this child is skilled in conversation. I asked, "So, what do you think about the potential confluence of the Star Wars and Star Trek universes?"

Kadin's expression changed from sincerity to puzzlement to bewilderment. I thought my adult vocabulary had him flummoxed. Rather, Kadin simply said, "That's just not real!"

No comments: